Woman feeding stray cats during November 1940 Mrs. Caroline Roberts of 22 Lindfield street, Poplar, London seen here in November 1940 feeding cats made homeless by the Nazi bombing raids. Battle of Britain collection
An Irish street in Poplar: Rook Street, decorated for the appointment of the new pope, Benedict XV. Closed in as part of the Sophia Street Clearance Scheme by the LCC involving the demolition of nearly 200 dwellings.
A coloured postcard of the Poplar Hospital around 1904. The original building, on the left, opened in 1855 as the Poplar Hospital for Accidents, thanks to the Quaker banker and philanthropist Samuel Gurney. He was appalled that the dock companies made no provision for emergency medical care in the docks, despite the dangers of the work. It later became a general hospital.