The church of St Nicholas, Barfrestone, Kent, England
The church of St Nicholas in the tiny hamlet of Barfrestone was founded in the late 11th century by a Norman knight called Hugo de Port and was remodelled around 1180 with the addition of over 100 superb carvings which were probably funded by Adam de Port, Hugo's great-grandson, as thanks for a beneficial marriage he contracted in that same year. Barfreston is located on the route that was travelled by thousands of Medieval pilgrims on their way to the shrine of St Thomas Becket at…
Friends of Barfreston Church
This small Norman church stands on a plateau constructed on a south-east facing slope in the tiny unspoilt village of Barfreston. The lower walls are of flint and the upper of Caen ashlar. Nave and chancel together are less than fifty feet in length, and the floor plan could be described as two abutting rectangles. The quality and profusion of the decoration is breath taking.