Kyrenia Castle, North Cyprus stands on a site that was in use during Roman times. The impressive fortress dominates the entrance to the old harbour. Originally thought to have been built around the 7th Century by the Byzantines and used as a defence against the invading Arabs. The Castle has been used as a refuge and shelter during times of conflict and peace. The first recorded reference to the castle was in the 1100’s when Richard the Lion Heart conquered Cyprus on his way to the crusades.