Jones Bros, Holloway Road C1910 & 2014
Part of Jones Bros became the Savoy Cinema in 1940 - see next picture in this set N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Holloway Road, from Archway to Highbury Corner. To see a disappeared world of horse trams, electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres, fashions and architecture, click this link.... www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157626135089492/
How the 'grandest parade of market buildings in Europe' is threatened by plans for a makeover in glass: London's Smithfield could be turned into artisan food centre
Plans to transform the historic site into artisan food centre have been unveiled. The £160million plans includes a two-part piazza and office space.
Holloway Road, Woolworth's & Marks & Spencer 1950's
On what looks like a sunny summer's day, a trolley on route 611 to Highgate Village stops to pick up passengers. On the other side of the road are two stores which were to be seen in virtually every shopping area in the UK. Woolworth's had over 800 stores in the UK, but ran into financial difficulties during the early years of this century. The last 200 stores were closed in January 2009. Photo - C Carter N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Holloway Road, from Archway to…
London Metropolitan University, Holloway Road looking north C1920's
A tram trundles north along Holloway Road, passing the building known as the North London Polytechnic, when first opened in 1896. It survives today, although as can be seen in the next picture, it's had its northern and southern ends chopped off, with only the central part and the clock tower remaining. N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Holloway Road, from Archway to Highbury Corner. To see a disappeared world of horse trams, electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres…
Highbury Corner, Islington - 1952
This image, taken in March, 1952 from the junction of Highbury Corner and Highbury Place, Islington, gives a good idea of the extent of damage sustained by the Highbury NLR station and hotel building following the V1 explosion on June 27, 1944. Features that can be identified are: the remains of "The Cock Tavern" on the left-hand side; two of the four arcade shops; Boot's chemist shop, and the corner of the Barclays bank on the right-hand side. Compare this image with the one taken before…
Upper Street, Islington - c.1908
Looking south along Upper Street towards the Parish Church of St. Mary. On the left-hand is one of the L.C.C. fire stations adjacent to the Odeon cinema and Florence Street. Typical double-decker trams dominated the public surface transportation system and were an adventure to ride on. c.1908.
Islington High Street 1934
Another high view, this time from a building near White Lion Street and looking across to Upper Street and the Empire Arcade. Once again, trams, buses and taxis dominate the road. N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Angel, Islington, travelling from Rosebery Avenue to Islington Green. To see a disappeared world of electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres, fashions and architecture, click this link www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157638560394736/
Highbury NLR Station, Highbury Corner, Islington - c1910
Another fine view of the 1873 edifice of the North London Railway's station at Highbury Corner. You'll notice that this photo was taken before the small arcade of shops was built in front of the station's forecourt. Also before Boots the Chemist occupied the store frontage on the right-hand side or northern wing of the building. Your comments are invited.
Islington Green, Collins Music Hall early 20th century
N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Angel, Islington, travelling from Rosebery Avenue to Islington Green. To see a disappeared world of electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres, fashions and architecture, click this link www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157638560394736/
Jones Bros, Holloway Road C1910
An early picture of Jones Bros, before they sold off the portion of the building nearest the camera. This part would be redeveloped and become the Savoy Cinema, later the Coronet - see next picture. There was a huge outcry when the John Lewis management announced the closure of the store, which had been here for over 100 years. The following comes from the web pages of Pastscape.com "Jones Brothers' was founded in 1869 by William Jones, who had come to London in 1867 and worked as a draper's…