East End slum Street 1912 ~ The Whitechapel district of London at the end of the nineteenth century was generally regarded as being a ‘horrible black labyrinth, reeking from end to end and swarming with human vermin, whose trade is robbery and whose recreation is murder’.
Cross Street, Reading, looking southwards to Broad Street, 1887. On the right, at No. 21, William Fossett, tripe dresser. Nos. 22 and 23 appear to be empty, and No. 24, formerly D. A. Sims, antiques dealer, is boarded up. On the right, a hoarding advertises Gamlen Brothers, hatters, and Gunn, the bill poster. On the south side of Broad Street, part of Nos. 116-117, is the Angel Brewery and Brewery Tap of Ferguson and Sons. 1880-1889 : Reading Borough Libraries
Market Place, Reading, looking northwards to St. Laurence's Church, c. 1875. On the west side, the entrance to the Corn Exchange with clock above; Nos. 34 and 33 (Salmon and Son, tea and coffee merchants); No. 32; Nos. 31 and 30; No. 29 (Arthur S. Cooper, wine and spirit merchant).
Many will remember this building on the corner of Broad Street and Chain Street as the men’s outfitters Silver’s which stood on the site for over 70 years. Others will know it as Country Casuals and, now, Cath Kidson. But it started life as the Post Office Tavern, taking its name from Reading’s first GPO on the opposite corner. In 1900, illicit gambling caused the pub’s closure and it re-opened as Poynders Post Office Bookshop and Library until 1919 when Silver’s took it over.
1910 - Jackson's Corner, King's Road, Reading. A busy street of horses, carts, shoppers and trams. Jackson's department store was founded by Edward Jackson in 1875 in a tiny shop at 6 High Street. With increasing trade he had to expand his premises and in 1885 the now famous Jackson’s Corner were acquired and enlarged and new branches periodically opened.