25/1/17 I went to Bath Uni today to visit an exhibition based on the concept of maths and art combined together. I feel that this exhibition wasn't nearly as good as the Jerwood drawing prize and overall it seemed dull. The concept was interesting but I don't think the work portrayed this theme in the best light.
Thinking about different background surfaces and how this influences the piece. I have stuck many of these samples in a sketchbook but feel that some may look interesting in a transparent book where you can see both sides.
I feel that this sample has worked well as the outlines are defined and you can tell what the shape is. I feel I need to carry n making lots of samples to really understand what works best and what doesn't work.
Thinking about windows and developing sections of my drawings into bigger pieces of work. I feel it would be good to make pieces that present abstraction but you can understand what the shapes are representing.
25/1/17 As in this photo the samples can sometimes can very tight and difficult to stitch on. I think this is because I haven't got much of this fabric left and it is not covering the whole of the frame. When I have done samples with plenty of fabric around them it works better and doesn't get nearly as tight.
24/1/17 In looking back at my sketchbook drawings I find the ones which I have enlarged sections the most interesting as they have white breathing space around them. I am going to develop these pieces into bigger pieces of work and have started to make dissolvable stitched samples.
24/1/17 After dissolving the piece in water it looks like this. You are just left with the thread stitch lines which I find interesting. I have been experimenting with the length of time that the stitching is exposed to in the water. I think I am making progress on this and I am starting to get a result which I am like better.
Continuation of dissolvable fabric samples I decided to change the colour thread to make a better contrast in my sketchbook. The orange is a powerful colour and I think the pink lines underneath work well in presenting abstract effects.
Continuation of dissolvable fabric samples. I think the contrast in two colours works effectively and I feel that when the drawing is slightly of centred it works better in creating distortion effects.
24/1/17 This is the first sample that I have done using dissolvable fabric that I actually feel looks similar to the original drawing. I feel like I am making progress on this technique and want to keep developing samples at different scales. I think it is interesting to see the contrast of just pen drawing against the stitch with contrast in colour.
24/1/17 I began stitching the samples and followed the directions of the pen lines from underneath. I still feel I am experimenting with how this material works and sometimes it is difficult to stitch on as the fabric gets tight.
24/1/17 I decided to try and develop more dissolvable stitch fabric samples and get better at learning how the process works. I placed the fabric over the top of my drawings and drew over the lines with a felt tip pen. I find the overlapping effect of materials interesting and would like to develop this further by experimenting with different coloured pens.
22/1/17 I continued sewing on the piece with the same coloured thread. Some parts of it are difficult to stitch as there is so much fabric to manipulate around the machine. I am leaving certain parts free from stitching so that there is a contrast in presenting the differences.
21/1/17 I continued sewing in different parts of the piece, thinking about the thickness of the line and colour. I feel that this piece seems to be working and it will be interesting to see the drawing underneath. I am particularly drawn to windows in buildings and have sewn intensively inside the frame to highlight the shape.