Chatham University - Founded as Pa. Female College on December 11, 1869, by Rev. William Trimble Beatty of Shadyside Presbyterian Church with goal of providing women with education comparable to that which men could receive at the time at "colleges of the first class." Renamed Pa. College for Women in 1890 & Chatham College in 1955 to honor William Pitt, Earl of Chatham. Gained university status on April 23, 2007. Today, includes undergraduate women and graduate women & men.