Piccadilly in the Rush Hour
A single Manchester City Police officer stands on point duty on the junction of Piccadilly and Oldham Street in central Manchester during a busy rush hour. We are uncertain as to the date the image was taken but believe it may be the 1930s. On the right stands the famous Manchester branch of Woolworths, said to be the company’s largest branch in Europe. The store was the site a tragic fire in 1979, which saw 10 people killed. Also featured is one of the much-loved Manchester trams that…
Film of fatal Manchester city centre Woolworths fire of 1979 inspires Turner prize-winning artwork
People who witnessed the horrific Woolworth's fire of 1979 have been sharing their memories of it – after it inspired a prize-winning artwork. Artist Elizabeth Prince celebrated this week after being awarded the Turner Prize for her video installation 'The Woolworths Choir Of 1979'.
Greater Manchester police officers react in the immediate aftermath of the 15 June IRA terrorist bombing outside the Arndale Centre, the enormous mushroom cloud caused by the terror attack rising only a block away, Manchester, England, United Kingdom, 1996, photographer unknown.
The Old Wellington Inn and Sinclair's Oyster Bar, England, dating from the 16th century and 17th century respectively, were disassembled in the 1970s and moved 100 m North to the new Shambles Square, next to Manchester Cathedral. Originally the two buildings comprised a single row, but they were rebuilt 90 degrees to each other and connected by new construction.
Seven reasons it’s time to FINALLY sort out Piccadilly Gardens
It should be the beating heart of Manchester, so for the city’s sake something surely now needs to be done. Here are some of the major reasons why
The Wellington Inn, Manchester, 1877 (GB124.Q38)
The building known as the Wellington Inn has existed since 1552 when Edward VI was on the throne. At that time it was situated in the Market Place and Shambles. It is now the oldest building in Manchester. In 1554 it was purchased by the Byron family and was part residence and part drapers shop. In the mid 17th century a third storey was added to the structure. It was not until 1830 that the premises were licensed when the it was known as the Vintners Arms and later as the Kenyon Vaults. In…