Karen Yarnell
More ideas from Karen
Lambeth High Street: looking south 1935

Lambeth High Street: looking south Lambeth High Street: looking south 1935

200 Kennington Lane, Kennington 1969

200 Kennington Lane, Kennington 1969

Windmill Row, Kennington 1970

Windmill Row, Kennington 1970

The River Neckinger is one of the lost rivers of London. It now runs underground, from the Imperial War Museum to the Thames; and divides Shad Thames in the West and the area that was known as Jacobs Island in the East. People think that the river got its name from the words “Devil’s Neckcloth” – another way of talking about the hangman’s noose – the rope used to hang people until they died. Until the 18th century Thames pirates had their heads chopped off at Neckinger Wharf.

The River Neckinger is one of the lost rivers of London. It now runs underground, from the Imperial War Museum to the Thames; and divides Shad Thames in the West and the area that was known as Jacobs Island in the East. People think that the river got its name from the words “Devil’s Neckcloth” – another way of talking about the hangman’s noose – the rope used to hang people until they died. Until the 18th century Thames pirates had their heads chopped off at Neckinger Wharf.

Rowlings Dairy, 20 St Albans Walk, Lambeth c.1900.

190 Staff outside J.Rowlings Dairy on the corner of St Albans Street and China Walk, posing with the milk delivery carts. Standing in the doorway are Left J.Rowling and Right J.

Bargebuilders, Bishop's Walk, Lambeth, London, c1860. This run of bargebuilders' wharves was on the south bank of the Thames opposite the Palace of Westminster. It was swept away for St Thomas's Hospital. Barges were the main form of transport along the Thames, and many barge building firms thrived.

Thames barge builders, Bishop's Walk, Lambeth, Now occupied by St Thomas' Hospital.

St Anselms Church, Kennington 1933

St Anselms Church, Kennington 1933

Black Prince Road: by Salamanca Place 1936

Salamanca Place: corner of Broad Street and Salamanca Place 1936

Granada Cinema, Kennington Road, Kennington c.1950.

Date : View towards the Granada cinema in Kennington Road, which was built in the and later became a bingo hall, but has since been partially demolished and replaced with a block of flats. Photographed as a glass slide by W.