JOHN RYLANDS LIBRARY, Deansgate, Manchester. Interior, looking east from the gallery. The library was completed in 1899 to the designs of architect Basil Champneys, and was commissioned by Enriqueta Augustina Rylands in memory of her late husband. The library is a fine example of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture. It later became part of the University of Manchester. Photographed by Bedford Lemere and Co. in 1900.