St Bartholomew's gatehouse leading to the oldest parish church in London; century St Bartholomew-the-Great. In 1916 a German Zeppelin bomb fell nearby causing tiles to fall off, revealing this Elizabethan half timber fronted house built in
Queen Mary's Steps by Leonard Bentley, 1939 excavations for the new Ministry of Defence revealed Queen Mary's Steps which were part of King Henry VIII's Whitehall Palace, the steps led down to the terrace overlooking the River Thames
The River Neckinger is one of the lost rivers of London. It now runs underground, from the Imperial War Museum to the Thames; and divides Shad Thames in the West and the area that was known as Jacobs Island in the East. People think that the river got its name from the words “Devil’s Neckcloth” – another way of talking about the hangman’s noose – the rope used to hang people until they died. Until the 18th century Thames pirates had their heads chopped off at Neckinger Wharf.