Caledonian Railway class 80 'Coast Bogie' 4-4-0 no. 14114 emanated from the design office of Dugald Drummond and was built at St. Rollox works in 1891. 14114 entered CR service as no. 197, was rebuilt by McIntosh in 1907 until withdrawal at Stirling mpd in 1930.This shot was taken in front of No. 3 gasometer at Burghmuir shed, Stirling, in September 1925. Tender cabs were fitted for running back from banking duties between Stirling and Kinbuck.
Old Photo - Novel Use For Condemned Engine
Usually when an engine is withdrawn from traffic and consigned to scrap, it seldom, if ever, is heard of again in its original form. This old Highland Railway engine of the large "Ben" class - Ben Achaoruinn, No. 14422 - built in 1909 awas partially dismantled and had a temporary reprieve. A 3-inch steam pipe was connected from the engine boiler to the steam supply pipes underground leading to the laundry, hotel and District Office Buildings. Source: LMS Magazine, June 1937
LMSR 2F 0-6-0 no/ 17404 was a Caledonian Railway 294 Class, Drummond designed 'Jumbo' built in 1896 at the company's own St. Rollox Works. In BR days she was numbered 57404 in February 1949 whilst allocated to Motherwell mpd which is where she would be withdrawn in 10/61.