The Old Ship Bank on the corner of Saltmarket and Bridgegate.( the briggat) The Glasgow Ship Bank was Glasgow's first bank, founded in 1750 by a group of Glasgow's leading Tobacco Lords. The bank subsequently removed to new premises in Glassford Street and this three-storey building was used for shops and dwellings. In 1845 a pub opened on the ground floor. The premises were rebuilt in 1904 and the addition of a corner tower and cupola made it a prominent landmark.