15b.A way for me to combat this is by taking regular short breaks and doing something else for a few minutes - getting up and walking around usually helps, as when I've been doing something for a long time I stop paying attention and go into autopilot, which results in mistakes.
15a. When starting to ink the final figure I began with the 3/4ths view of the head and neck as I felt this would be the most difficult part of the piece to make look natural. However when inking I realised I had made an anatomy mistake in where I joined the neck to the skull. It should've been from the base of the skill and not the jaw.
24. Once trimmed down to size I was happy with the final outcome and am glad that any minor mistakes I had made are unnoticeable unless looking for them. Since the paper was warped and I did not have a support for it I placed it in a book to flatten it as much as possible. Next time I would stretch the paper to avoid this. Apart from this I feel I was successful in creating the texture I wanted to and still love the contrast of the white paper and black ink.
23. After waiting for the whole thing to dry once again, I took my ruler and measured out what dimensions I felt would be the best, I ended up with 29 cm x 20 cm. I hadn't planned the dimensions before, which I never do with my personal work, but through this I've realised that I should since I couldn't fit in what I wanted to do without it looking cluttered.
22b. However, using the calligraphy pen was a bad idea. The ink was not the same colour and it also took way longer than Indian ink to dry plus, it dried patchy. So I ended up having to get my ink and tools out anyway, which I should've done in the first place instead of looking for an easier way out. Luckily once I went over the pens ink with my Indian ink it was unnoticeable.
22. To avoid getting my ink and all the required tools out, I thought I could use my calligraphy pen, as the ink in that is dark and flowing.
21. The next week, once the whole piece was dry I went back and looked at it, but noticed some of the ink was patchy. This could have been because I didn't reload my brush with ink as much as I should have, next time I'm working with ink I will be sure to reload as much as is needed.
20. Once I finished the 'safety-nets' I went in with a cotton swab and filled in the rest of the blank spaces. I wanted to create a streaky texture so, using the ink still straight from the bottle, I went over areas that I wanted to layer and appear darker. I think this worked well as I definitely got my desired texture.
19. After fulling in the small gaps I started to build a sort of 'safety-net' around each of the figures, still using the brush pen. I blocked in a thick line around each of the figures so that when I came into use the cotton swab I wouldn't mess up my line work
18. Being able to block in the small details between the ribs proved difficult as the gaps got very small. I'm happy I chose to use my watercolour brush pens for this as they were very handy for being able to really fill in the tiny spaces.
17. Once I finished the inking of the figures I was keeping I started to fill in the smaller areas of the background with the brush pen before I went in with the cotton swabs to create the streaky texture I want to achieve in the background.
16. I was pleased with how this figure turned out at the end of the inking stage, I feel it looks natural and for the most part correct in proportions.
14. When moving onto inking I decided not to ink the middle figure as when taking a step back and looking at it, I feel it was just cluttering the piece and making it look to busy. The reason I wanted to have three figures in the first place was because I wanted to employ the rule of thirds into my work, but I don't think this is the piece to be doing this with. Perhaps a larger piece of paper would have been better for what I wanted to do.
13. Finishing the first figure I help off on the hand for now as I wasn't confident I would be able to make it look natural or believable at the time. So I moved onto doing the next figure while I waited for this figure to completely dry.
12. Starting with the hat I began inking with black India ink, again using it straight from the bottle. I started here as I know from past mistakes that you should start in the top left corner - so you dont drag ink across your work as you go. Also I found from doing the artist replica I should move the brush quickly since it works best to get a consistent line weight , however a con of doing this is I loose that level of control I like to have.
11. Since my full piece sketch was finished I returned to the thumbnail sketch to loosen up before inking. Using the ink straight from the bottle so it was as dark as it could be I went over my small sketch to get used to how it felt to work the watercolour brush pen again. I think doing this is a good idea as it warms you up for doing the real piece, just like how in sports when you stretch before running a marathon.