‘Friendly Fire’ disaster for Royal Navy off Le Havre
AUG 27 1944 ‘Friendly Fire’ disaster for Royal Navy off Le Havre With its rocket rails empty, a No 175 Squadron Typhoon taxies between the trees at Le Fresne-Camilly (B-5) after returning from a close-support sortie, 1 August 1944. By this date communications with the ground forces had been improved, and standing patrols of Typhoons (‘cab ranks’) could be called down when needed by forward controllers meanning mobile ‘visual control posts’ in the front line.
#175 Squadron formed on 3 March 1942 at Warmwell, it took over the Hurricane IIBs left behind by the departing #402 Sq. Operations began the following month with an attack on an enemy airfield. The squadron continued with its armed reconnaissance operations against rail and armoured target for the remainder of the war and remained in Germany until disbanding at Schleswig-Holstein on 29 September 1945.