Jefferson School, Minneapolis, 1883. Hennepin & 10th Street (west corner) The first Jefferson school was built at Hennepin & 10th in 1868 and destroyed by fire on December 12, 1876. This building is also called 2nd Ward School on a few old maps. The School Board sold the site after the fire. The second Jefferson School, at 1st Avenue North and 7th Street, was built on land bought in February 1877. The school opened in September 1877, and closed in June 1910.