Grand Army of the Republic Hall---Grand Island, Nebraska. Cornerstone of the G.A.R. Hall was laid in 1886, From 1893 to 1910 the Post Office had a ground floor space in this two story brick building. The building still stands, and most of the original architecture remains.
HISTORIC PIC - This photograph taken in the late 1920s is of Grand Island’s old Koehler Hotel located at the southwest corner of North Locust and West South Front Street. Built by Gustave Koehler, the 95 room hotel cost $100,000 to build and formally opened in 1893. It was abandoned and razed in the summer of 1970. At the time this photograph was taken, the Koehler Hotel was operated by George A. Heyde.
HISTORIC PIC - Traveling to and from Grand Island didn’t always look the way it does today. This ca. 1913 photo features the Grand Island Union Pacific Railroad Depot. The depot was completed in 1892 on West South Front Street. The brick structure in the background is the Koehler Hotel. Men and women are gathered at the station ready to leave for their destination or greet travelers. The depot and railroad played an important role in their lives. For more history of the Union Pacific…
Julius Leschinsky took this photograph from the top of the Nebraska Mercantile Building (358 North Pine Street) looking southwest. The picture highlights the Union Pacific Railroad’s passenger depot, completed in 1918. Behind the depot is the four-story Koehler Hotel, located in the southwest corner of North Locust and West South Front Streets.