1950s view of the demolition Bristol Castle wall in Fairfax Street to make way for Fairfax House. The castle was demolished in 1656, according to Millerd's map of Bristol. However one octagonal tower survived until it was torn down in 1927. The remains of an 11th or 12th century motte and bailey castle, with curtain walls and a great keep dating from 1140. The sallyport, an escape route, can be still seen on one wall.