Using space left vacant by the 1888 fire, Charles Webster Crews and R. Beggs constructed this building in 1900 as a branch of their Pueblo store. The company, founded in 1882 in Leadville, went out of business in 2000 after closure of the Salida store
Trees on Tenderfoot Mountain are alive and well when this photograph was taken March 20, 1895. They began dying shortly after the smelter opened – upwind – in 1902, and by 1917 there were almost none left. Two foot paths up the mountain were used by hundreds of visitors who wanted to get a view of the city while they waited to change trains. The mountain was a favorite picnic spot for locals as well.
A narrow-gauge train had arrived from the west, a locomotive (possibly No. 218) was removing the loaded gondolas of ash from next to the ashpit, and No. 404 had moved out of the roundhouse onto the turntable. During the warm weather, locomotives under steam were spotted with their stacks outside of the roundhouse to improve ventilation in the building. Walter Moore is pictured in the center of three men leaning against No. 404.
Although most of the mess from the January 1888 fire is cleaned up in this summer photo, evidence can still be seen. Despite a massive rebuilding effort – mostly in brick this time – there are still many open lots along F Street above First Street. Rubble from the fire is visible where it was dumped along the bank of the Arkansas River near the F Street Bridge. After two major fires, it is interesting to note how much larger the area that is today Riverside Park has become.