Explore Richmond Virginia, Audio, and more!

The Jan. 30, 1961, edition of The Richmond News Leader included a photo essay titled “The Changing Skyline – and Landscape – in Richmond’s Bustling Retail Districts.” Among examples was a new pedestrian plaza at the Willow Lawn shopping center.

The Jan. edition of The Richmond News Leader included a photo essay titled “The Changing Skyline – and Landscape – in Richmond’s Bustling Retail Districts.” Among examples was a new pedestrian plaza at the Willow Lawn shopping center.

Patterson Avenue and Three Chopt, 1973 [Must be during the morning rush hour since everyone is headed East. - MS]

Patterson Avenue and Three Chopt, 1973 [Must be during the morning rush hour since everyone is headed East.

In March 1958, Sears, Roebuck & Co. opened its second location in the Richmond area. The new Southside Plaza location sold only hard goods, as seen in this image. It also had a service station and a catalog office. The 25,000-square-foot store had parking for about 150 cars in an area set aside from the start for future expansion.  (The other local Sears was at 1700 W. Broad St.)

In March 1958, Sears, Roebuck & Co. opened its second location in the Richmond area. The new Southside Plaza location sold only hard goods, as seen in this image. It also had a service station and a catalog office. The 25,000-square-foot store had parking for about 150 cars in an area set aside from the start for future expansion. (The other local Sears was at 1700 W. Broad St.)

Aerial Views - Richmond, Va. c-5-12-1954  Source	Norfolk & Western Historical Photograph Collection

Source Norfolk & Western Historical Photograph Collection With a bit of study a modern resident can discern where the RVA of today is

March 14, 1954 photo. Mooers Field Speedway - Off West Broad Street at end of Roseneath Road at Carlton in Richmond's near West End, just past Curles Neck Dairy & just before Acca Railroad Yards (see background). Richmond Colts played baseball at Mooers Field before baseball in Richmond moved to Parker Field on The Boulevard in 1954.

Royall Race Track - Previously Mooers Field home of AA Richmond Colts up to 1953 when Richmond got AAA Vees and Parker Field.

Richmond streetcar on the 200 block of E. Broad. On the back of the photograph the date is Sept. 1, 1940.

Richmond streetcar on the 200 block of E. On the back of the photograph the date is Sept.

This January 1969 image shows the Booker-T Theater at 114 W. Broad St. in downtown Richmond. Opened in 1911 as the Empire Theatre, it closed for several years in the late 1920s and early ‘30s after a fire. Between 1933 and 1974, it was the Booker-T, hosting movies and vaudeville shows. Theatre IV purchased the building in 1986 and restored it over several years, opening it as the Empire once again. It is now known as the Sara Belle and Neil November Theatre

This January 1969 image shows the Booker-T Theater at 114 W. Broad St. in downtown Richmond. Opened in 1911 as the Empire Theatre, it closed for several years in the late 1920s and early ‘30s after a fire. Between 1933 and 1974, it was the Booker-T, hosting movies and vaudeville shows. Theatre IV purchased the building in 1986 and restored it over several years, opening it as the Empire once again. It is now known as the Sara Belle and Neil November Theatre

Vintage Richmond: Lucky Strike Factory Circa 1974

Here's a great shot from 1974 of the building at the end of Tobacco Row: The old Lucky Strike cigarette factory and power plant on Cary Stre.

Pinterest
Search