Captain James Cook (1728-1779) mourning ring, owned by Elizabeth Cook, ca. 1780. "Capt James Cook O.B. 14 Feb. 1779. AET: 50 [in his 50th year]" -- cameo inscription around ring edge "Captain Cook's memorial ring, the design made from his hair. Worn by his widow" -- inscription on accompanying envelope. Despite historical references to the ring being made of Cook's hair, close examination does not indicate hair is the material used. | State Library NSW
Fabulous Memento Mori gold and black enamel scrolled Rococo band dated The enamelled scrolls read : Mary Mount Ob 26 June 1745 aet 59 and the front scrolls are decorated with a skull, crossbones and a gravedigger's pick and shovel.