Sir John Evans Centenary Project (Ashmolean Museum): Gold jewelled pendant with a large circular cell in the centre which now empty. Spaced around its circumference are four raised cloisons, two of them enclosing blue glass inlays.
The Milton Jewel is one of the finest examples of Anglo-Saxon brooches of the period, with a sophisiticated design carried out in a combination of materials.The use of cloisons inlaid with garnet, filigree knot work decoration on gold sheet and shell bossess are typical of this type. The brooch was found in 1832 in a cemetery at Milton, west of Dorchester-on-Thames. Probably Kent, VIIc
The British Museum Cabinet 38; 'The Coming of Christianity'. Photographs courtesy of Lindsay Kerr. Gold and garnet pendants with christian imagery based upon the cross. From 7thC Anglo-Saxon cemeteries, Kent. Wulfheodenas Facebook.