Kout Norien, on the Glenelg River near Harrow (391km NW of Melbourne), was originally taken up in 1840. Following subdivision of its original 400,000 acres, the surviving run was leased by Richard Broughton in 1855. He erected the woolshed and homestead before purchasing the freehold in 1863. The colonial-style homestead was built of brick and stone quarried on the property. Its outbuildings, slab hut and slab woolshed (all still in use), form an important pastoral station group.