Imperial German Mauser Model 1898 with 25-round trench magazine and dust cover over the bolt. To compensate for the failings of the bolt action rifle in the intense trench warfare of the Western Front, the Germans retrofitted their Gewehr 98 rifles with magazines from MG13 machine guns before putting in place the proprietary 25 round magazine we see here. The dust cover protected the bolt from the dirt and damage of the rough and tumble nature of trench combat.
This Mauser general purpose machine gun was manufactured by Mauser-Werke, Steyr-Daimler-Puch & Gustloff Werke. Used extensively by Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe & Waffen-SS during the second half of Over produced prior to German surrender.
The (Maschinenpistole literally "Machine Pistol was a submachine gun (SMG) used by the Wehrmacht, Waffen-SS and German police both before and during World War II. It was developed in the early by Emil Bergmann (son of Theodor Bergmann)
Illustration of a Maschinengewehr 34 (English: Machine Gun MG Chambered for Mauser cartridges.