Hamilton Palace was a large country house located north-east of Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The former seat of the Dukes of Hamilton, it was built in 1695 and subsequently much enlarged. The house was demolished in 1921 due to ground subsidence despite inadequate evidence for that. It is widely acknowledged as having been one of the grandest houses in Scotland.
St Peter's College, Cardross - Glasgow School of Art: Archives & Collections
Photograph of St Peter's College from the Gillespie, Kidd & Coia Archive in the Glasgow School of Art Archives and Collections (Archive reference: GKC/CC/2/1/17)
Dundee became a walled city in 1545. After the Battle of Culloden in 1746, the Town Council issued an order to dismantle the town walls except the "Cowgait Port", which was to be kept as a memorial. On 02 September 1913 a proposal was put forward to demolish the Wishart Arch but was rejected. Ref: M05-BW323-002
Old Photograph Neilson Institute Paisley Scotland
Old photograph of the Neilson Institute in Paisley by Glasgow, Scotland. The John Neilson Educational Institution at Oakshawhead, Paisley, opened to pupils in April 1852. John Neilson was a Paisley grocer who died in 1839, aged 61, and was buried in Paisley Abbey. John Neilson's will directed a large portion of his wealth to be used to build a school and to establish a fund to finance the education of boys who would not otherwise be able to afford an education. His nephew, Archibald Gardner…