Victoria Sq, War memorial. Until 1810, Victoria Square was an orchard and meadowland, owned by the Andrews family. They sold part of the site, which came gradually into use as a market place. In 1873, with the opening of the Town Hall, it became Town Hall Square. Finally, in 1897, to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, it became Victoria Square.