Cowbit station (remains), 1983 © Ben Brooksbank
View SE, towards March: ex-Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint main line, March - Spalding - Sleaford - Lincoln - Doncaster. The station was closed to passengerson 11/9/61, to goods on 5/10/64, then with the massive decline of... more
Gainsborough Lea Road Railway Station:- Changes
1920s and current view of the GNR (later LNER and then BR) station at Lea Road, Gainsborough, in Lincolnshire. Not too many changes - the biggest being the replacement of the wooden platforms with concrete ones. The wooden buildings remain more or less intact (the main station building is in brick, but is at a lower level than the platforms). The signal box on the platform has recently been severely damaged by fire.
BRITISH RAILWAY STEAM ERA MISCELLANY - Paul Johnson
HALTON HOLGATE - Opened in May 1868, Halton Holgate was the only intermediate station on the GNR branch from Firsby to Spilsby. Despite being very substantially built, the station was very small with only the one very short platform and a tiny goods yard. Passenger traffic ceased in September 1939 as a wartime emergency measure and was never reinstated. Freight services ceased in December 1958. Here we see the station after closure to passengers with a Class J6 0-6-0 passing through on…
The Grimsby connection at Firsby
The Peterborough - Skegness service had arrived, deposited its passengers for the connecting service to Grimsby, reversed and gone on its merry way. Not long after, the service from Grantham has arrived and is waiting to proceed to Burgh le Marsh, Willoughby [with a connection to Mablethorpe], Alford Town, Louth South and Grimsby Town - all this was soon to be consigned to history. What a shame, it all worked like a sewing machine ......