Engraved paper sheet, 1774-1818, used for wrapping small quantities of loose tea purchased from the tea and chcolate dealer and grocer Richard Knight located at 83 Gracechurch Street. The engraving by William Innes includes the name and address of the dealer and a depiction of a chinaman sitting beside a tea plant, tea chest and cup and saucer. Until the 1830s all tea imported into London was grown in China.
Chocolate cups, like this one owned by George and Martha Washington, were typical of the colonial era. Most chocolate cups had two handles, on opposing sides, while tea cups of the period had no handles at all. Image credit: George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate, Museum, and Gardens' 2012 annual Colonial Chocolate Society meeting presentation.