Bronte was rushed to Vets Now Referrals early last Monday morning after she sneakily stole a 250g packet of granulated xylitol off the kitchen counter. She managed to eat approximately half of the contents before her owner managed to prise it out of her mouth. Within 15 minutes Bronte vomited, became weak, uncoordinated and collapsed.
Pepe is our eccentric rescue cat, the kids call him ‘white noise cat’ because that’s what someone once said when musing about what he might be thinking. This was his second trip to see the Vets Now out of hours and emergency team, so when he appeared one day dragging his leg behind him, I knew what to do.
After one walk last year, 8 year old Weimaraner Fern developed a tumour between her toes. Being in an unusual location, she was referred to Vets Now Referrals, Glasgow, where further biopsies confirmed that luckily, it was a lipoma (a benign tumour of fatty tissue). Fern underwent surgery to remove the tumour and recovered very quickly. She is back enjoying getting out and about - and you can hardly notice that she has a toe missing!
Lincoln, a 6 year-old black Labrador, owes his life to Labrador Retriever Rescue Scotland and the determination of rescue co-ordinator Carolyne Poulton who reached out to animal lovers through the charity’s Facebook page.
Mid April this year, Honey started getting very ill. She was shaking quite often and was both sick and had diarrhoea. Worst still she had totally lost her appetite and was dropping weight really quickly. Her owners were incredibly worried, and after over a month of visits to the vet, she was referred to Vets Now Referrals, Kent where she was diagnosed with Immune-Mediated Haemolytic Anaemia.
Maverick was referred to Vets Now Referrals in Kent after he ruptured his knee joint while chasing a cat in the garden! After undergoing surgery, he is now back to his old self, and has even shed 15kg! Well done Maverick!
Yoshi had T-cell multicentric lymphoma. Thanks to the treatment, dedication, commitment, expertise and professionalism of the Vets Now Referrals team, Yoshi’s cancer went into remission and he was stable until his death in January 2012. I hope to raise the awareness of cancer and its treatment in dogs and its potential to give owners precious extra time with their beloved pets.
Cookie – our lovable cheeky little rescue Boxer – adopted us in April 2011. For a couple of months, she’d been out of sorts from time to time (not keen to go out, or to have her dinner). She’d also lost weight. Our lovely vets at Ivybank Veterinary Clinic suspected Cookie may have an enlarged liver. Having carried out some test locally, they suggested Cookie be urgently referred to Vets Now Referrals for further investigations.
Poor Lottie had been attempting to help with the DIY at home when things went disastrously wrong. Knocked unconscious at home, she was still very dazed and unable to stand by the time she reached the clinic. Lottie was tiny, weighing in at barely over 1kg, so to survive something 20 times heavier than herself falling on her meant she was already showing herself to be a fighter.
It's extremely important to be aware of toxic plants around springtime. Gorgeous Millie visited Vets Now with suspected lily poisoning when she was a kitten. Following her treatment which included being put on an IV drip and given charcoal, Millie recovered to her usual self. Follow the link to read Millie's full story on vets-now.com.
Our usually crazy, bouncy, young English Springer Spaniel Baxter was rushed to Vets Now Referrals Glasgow, suffering with severe heatstroke. Baxter was a very poorly pup indeed, and after a call from our usual vet, it was decided that he should be referred to Vets Now Referrals so that he could benefit from the specialist intensive care facilities required to give him the treatment he needed.
Millie's story shows just how much dogs love chocolate and that no matter how hard we try to keep it out of paws out of reach, where there's a will, there's a way! After hiding two boxes of Thorntons, two boxes of Matchmakers and a tube of Minstrels in a basket 5ft up at the back of the hall cupboard, Karen, Millie's owner thought they'd be safe. Four hours later she returned to find Millie had polished off the lot!
Getting your first puppy can be an unnerving time. After taking Jake for his first check-up, his owners picked up a Vets Now card, which found its way to a fridge magnet on the fridge door. It stayed there until Saturday 15th June, when Jake was suffering repeated bouts of sickness, which gradually got worse. His owners were concerned, so called the Vets Now Kilmarnock.
We're Corki and Poppy (tri colour and ruby Cavalier King Charles Spaniels). I Poppy (the ruby one) was really quite naughty and managed to escape my crate and jump high enough to knock down an open pack of chocolate my Mum had left out. It was all very yummy but oh dear it got me into a lot of trouble.
Cassie is and has always been a beautiful loyal dog. She loves everyone and is always content no matter what. When things took a turn for the worse, we did think that maybe being 12 was taking its toll and we were going to lose her. She went from playing like a puppy on the beach on Saturday, to near death on Tuesday; with the hot weather and extra panting, Cassie had begun to struggle to breath. It turned out that she was suffering a paralysis of the larynx.